when to hire a personal injury attorneyIf you have become a victim of another’s careless driving, there are five immediate actions you should take, if possible, to protect yourself and preserve your claim.

1. Call the Police

The most effective way to immediately document the incident, including which party is at fault, is to contact the police department so they can make an accident report.

2. Gather Evidence Including Photos

Do not rely upon the police officers to gather all of the pertinent information. Make sure to take photos of the damage to your vehicle. Additionally, make sure you have the other driver’s contact and insurance information, and the names and phone numbers of any potential witnesses.

3. Seek Medical Care

If you are injured seek emergency medical treatment immediately. Obviously, this is important for your health and well-being, and should be done as soon as possible. Oftentimes, it is normal for an injured victim to not notice any symptoms for a few days or even a week, but should seek treatment at that time and inform the physician of the accident. The longer an individual waits to seek treatment, not only delays the healing process, but also prevents the proper documentation of the injury for the presentation of an insurance claim.

4. Do NOT Communicate with the Other Insurance Company

The other driver’s insurance company may attempt to contact you for a statement regarding the accident and your injuries. Do not speak to them. Remember, insurance companies are corporations, and the opportunity to speak with you is not a kind personal gesture, but a shrewd business opportunity to record a statement that will only be used against you.

5. Contact the Lieser Law Firm

The Lieser Law Firm, LLC has represented numerous Missouri and Illinois victims of automobile negligence and has the experience you can trust to represent you against the insurance companies. We afford our clients the opportunity to focus on their health and family, while we handle the insurance company and legal paperwork.

Call (314) 862-7805 today or contact us to receive a free consultation.